CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 19:44:14 -0600

>Do your DM checkups include an annual thyroid check (blood test?) & is
>that standard?
>How common is it for a Celaic Diabetic to have thyroid problems?
>What would be the symptoms?
>
>Fran

One of the false paths we followed prior to the celiac diagnosis was
thyroid. I've been taking synthroid for 3 years now, despite the fact that
"the test" says my body makes enough. I've had real fingernails instead of
mushy ones ever since I've been taking it. Several times I've attempted to
stop and always wake up feeling hot and lousy-sick in the middle of the
night. (Yes, I've been on HRT for over 10 years now, so it's not hot
flashes!) I don't know the explanation, except that it makes me wonder if
there's a problem with the body utilizing whatever thyroid is made.

How's that for a non-answer????

Sue

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]
THE LAW OF REQUISITE VARIETY: The person who has one more alternative than
the number of obstacles s/he faces eventually will triumph. (Anon.)