CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bonnie Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 08:24:36 -0500

Hi. I am Bonnie. For years I went to doctor and more doctors to find out
why I had intestinal problems and what it was all about. Three - almost
four years ago finally a doctor did biopsies and sent the results out
of state to a high-tech lab, and I was diagnosed with Celiacs. Last year
I was diagnosed with hypo-thyroid, and have just had to take synthroid -
boy I wish the rest of my troubles could be taken care of that easy. And
then just December 1997 I was diagnosed with anemia and diabetes II.

Question: My birthday is this week, and my in-laws will be coming over.
They have not been supportive from the beginning of my diet concerns, and
make it a point to tell me they don't see the reason to be so strick with
my dietary needs. (My oldest son - their grandson also has celiacs) But,
my question does not deal with their insensitivity - I have just learned
to take care of myself(and son), and let their commnets roll down my back.
Now the question: do any of you have any tasty ideas for a dessert that
is gluten free and also ok for a diabetic II person who is on a 1500
calorie exchange diet. I was just going to go to the store and get some
different kinds of fruit and make a fruit salad - but I thought maybe
there would be a better idea out there.

Thanks for your help.
Bonnie Hall
Upland, IN.