BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:42:53 -0600
Locate where the snow melts.
Inspect for:  adequate insulation and adequate ventilation and that the
underside is cool, preferably the same temperature as the outside air.

If the insulation is disturbed, redistribute.

If there is limited outside ventilation, increase it...check your eave
vents and/or gable vents, make sure they aren't painted closed, or
clogged with insulation or other debris.

While you are there, examine the undeside of the sheathing and
structure for water damage.  A few stains is no big deal, but mold or
rot would indicate a regular leak and you need to address it.

Look for indications of past leaks.  Replace insulation that has been
leaked on.  It may only loose its efficacy when it is wet, but if you
have enough water to get your insulation wet, you are gonna be up there
working for awhile anyway.  It'll be easier to work if you remove the
insulation in the area you are working on.

You might want to get yourself a protometer...(I spell it wrong to
entertain Bryan).  Use it to examine the structure of the roof and the
walls.  Temperature needs to be above freezing for this.  Follow the
water.

Find the problem.  Define the problem.  Solve the problem.  Hey, you
could declare it "Not a Problem".  That's the easiest solution.

-jc