BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:57:43 -0800
> The Cayuga Lumber mill couldn't have been run via water power as there is
no
> head available and the flow is pretty low much of the time.

I recall going to a belt and lineshaft driven wood working shop and lumber
yard in Ithaca that I thought was called Cayuga Lumber that was located
beside the bridge over the creek just below South Hill and the old GLF
office building site, next to the Greyhound Bus terminal behind the Ithaca
Hotel and across from Zinks.   Was that Aurora Street?  First Street
crossing State Street when you arrived downtown from East Hill.   I thought
the wood shop was run by water power from the creek, a turbine beneath the
building, and it was magical.   I remember the lumber yard moving down to
the other end of town and I missed the wonderful magic of the belts and
pulleys in the new place that was all clean and new and dull.  The woodwork
shop at the old place beside the creek (was that Fall Creek?) had windows
all along the creekside to bathe the shop with natural light, and I remember
as a young child, looking down from them at the raging creek roaring and
boiling down the channelled creekway during a Spring flood just below the
open windows.

cp reminiscing in bc