BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:23:43 -0800
Ah, to be young and fearless again!!!!!!  Zorbing sounds a blast, I never
could master skiing.  I wanted to jump but my brother said I had to learn
to ski first.  Much later, too late, I learned that most jumpers don't know
how to ski well at all.  Most jumpers aren't female either.  Ruth

At 2:40 PM -0500 2/23/03, Met History wrote:
...donations accepted at www.TeenagerWithoutCash.ATM.

In a message dated 2/23/03 1:27:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, YIPPee007 writes:

The last week has been quite hectic--staying in places overnight and then
off again. The last contact I made was on my birthday when we were resting
up at the Awaroa Lodge in Abel Tasman National Park after two days of sea
kayaking.

The next day we hiked out to our kayak with our only belongings in thick
plastic bags over our shoulders. We waded across the little inlet, the
water swirling around our legs so it felt like you were walking on a tight
rope.

The kayak back down the coast was much more enjoyable as we had the wind at
our backs and were able even to catch a few waves--gliding down the small
bubbling faces.

Since then it has been a bus, then the ferry over to Wellington--a great
dinner there at a place called MondoCucina--then a quick flight up to
Auckland where we departed from today in a rented car. So . . . tonight
finds me in Raglan a small surfing town on the West Coast an hour south of
Auckland. I went out for two hours this afternoon at wanganuri
beach--beautifully wide and endless with black sand and very clean breaks.
We're staying in a hotel/hostel where you stay in converted train cars. We
have one all to ourselves. It's set up on one of the high hills overlooking
the beach. Today it was gray all around except in the South West where
little whip cream clouds slowly moved across a brilliant blue sky, like a
herd of elephants. A maori missing all of his front teeth with a huge
matted black mane down six inches below his shoulders encouraged me after I
mentioned I hadn't surfed for a few months: "Na, bwai, yoo niver loose it,
yoo niver ken loose it."

I almost forgot--Bob Dylan was great last night. He even played piano! I
think it might even have been the best concert of his I've seen. He
alternated between his new stuff--all spotless and great, sweeping versions
of his country love songs--"It ain't me babe," "Tonight I'll be staying
here with you", along with "Forever Young" and "Positively 4th Street."

Tomorrow on to Waitomo for caving, then Rotorua for Zorbing [getting in a
giant plastic ball and then being rolled down a ski slope] then back up to
AKL for two final days hopefully getting out to see some of the racing.

For the record, I am now officially out of money and miss you.

--
Ruth Barton
Westminster, VT