From:
Sheara Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sheara Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:44:05 -0700

Thank you to everyone who sent restaurant
recommendations.  I got some more great responses
after I sent the last summary, so here is a final
list.  Thanks again!

Sheara

I keep kosher so can only pass on information
regarding the local kosher restaurants. I have
successfully eaten at the following:

David Chu's, Reisterstown RD just south of Seven Mile
Lane. They have about 4 items that are safe,
unfortunately at this time you cannot bring
in your own soy sauce for them to use and they premake
the sauces so alot of the menu items are not ok. Ask
to speak to the mashgiach (kosher supervisor) and tell
him you cannot have gluten/have celiac disease.

Thecurry, most of the rice noodle dishes (and they now
know to cook it in fresh water!!), plus 2 other dishes
that I cannot remember off the top of my head are gf.
Since ensuring the noodles are cooked in fresh water I
have never had problems. The food is good and my
family that (they don't keep kosher) feels the quality
is excellent which means something
in my family since one of my sister-in-laws & an aunt
are ethnic Chinese. They do make sushi (I think it is
on Monday's or Tuesday's) but have never checked if it
is gf since they don't make the kind I personally like
to eat.

Royal Restaurant--across the street from David Chu's
in Colonial Village Shopping Center. (Also in the
shopping center is a health food store called
Sunsplash which has a nice selection of gf products, a
small grocery store next to Sunsplash that caters to
the Russians immigrants--they have a large selection
of Lifeway dairy products which are gf, and Wasserman
& Lemburger Butcher which makes their own deli which
is all gf--but if you have problems with soy or corn
it is a problem except for about 4-6 weeks around
pesach. His deli is unusual because the owner is
European trained & he makes alot of unusual types of
cold cuts. Let me know if you have a problem with soy
or corn since I can let you know which spices have
them & then the help at the store can
let you know which ones they add additional soy to the
ingredients.) I haven't eaten at the Royal restaurant
since my family doens't like the
food (they don't like the way they use spices).
However the few times I have eaten there they have
gone out of their way to ensure everything is
gf. Ask to speak with the owner and explain your
problem. I generally ask what he recommends in a
certain area of the menu (they make some Persian
dishes since the owners are from Iran so I generally
like to try these) and then we go through the
ingredients to ensure their is no problem. He has even
brought out bottles of ingredients for me to
personally check. Although he has limited experience
with our diet he is aware of many of the ingredients
that could contain gluten since many of his customers
keep something called Yoshen (I won't go into detail
about this but basically it means he needs to know
which ingredients would/could contain any of the 5
grains--wheat & wheat related grains, spelt, oats,
barley, rye) plus he does know that some foods contain
gluten because of the Pesach rules about the 5 grains.
The atmosphere is ok, the food is ok.

Brasserie--this is in the shopping center on
Reisterstown RD which is after the hotel and before
Office Depot as you come off the beltway. It is in the
former location of Altman's (I think that was the name
of the deli) which is in the northwest corner of this
shopping center. The food is expensive but the last
time I ate there the food was excellent, worth
the money. Ask to speak with the chef. I cannot
recommend anything since I haven't eaten from the
current menu, however I personally would either
ask for a recommendation or give them an idea of what
you want to eat and go from there. Meals were prepared
fresh by the chef so there should be no problem with
premade ingredients. I don't know about marinated
meats, etc. but would try for something fresh.

Milk and Honey Bistro--only safe thing I know about is
the baked potatoes, but I don't like to eat there and
avoid it since the menu is so limited and I can make a
baked potato just as easily at home.

I wouldn't recommend any of the other kosher eateries
at this time due to cross contamination issues or lack
of gluten free items.

I hope this helps. I generally only eat out about 6
times a year and the only place everyone agrees about
is David Chu's so that is where I know the menu the
best. I am pushing to go a couple times to the other
restaurants so hopefully will get a better idea of how
to deal with them and what menu items are gf.

There is a PF Changs at the Columbia Mall.  They have
a gluten free menu.  I ate there successfully a few
weeks ago and had a very good spicy chicken dish like
General Tsao's chicken.  There is also a Mexican
restaurant in Ellicott City called La Fiesta.  They
have corn tortillas and I worked my way through the
menu there too.

Is Hanover PA too far?  La Cuchina - manager/owner
Armando - makes wonderful GF meals!!!!

There is a Legal Seafoods Restaurant right near the
Inner Harbor in Baltimore.  I know you suggested
non-chain, but these guys were great.  Came to the
table with their notebook detailing all the
ingredients in every dish.  The notebook is updated
every 3 months.  Plus, the waiter was gluten
intolerant, and really understood the issues.

I know Austin Grill has a GF menu

The only place I know of down there is Austin Grill,
which is downtown near the harbor/Fells Point.  A
Mexican restaurant with a gluten-free menu you can
see on their web site--but the current staff doesn't
seem to know a whole lot about the menu, which was
done a few years back.

My wife has CD, we like to eat @ Carrabas which is
next to Outback in Ellicott City (Long Gate Shopping
Center.  You can have any grilled entrée.  Just ask to
speak to the manager and explain your Gluten-free
requirements.  They will clear a clean spot on the
grill, and substitute extra virgin olive oil  in place
of the grilling base which contains gluten.   We
recommend the Polla Rosa Maria or the chicken Bryan.
My wife and I always get the shrimp scampi with the
garlic lemon wine sauce.  She eats the shrimp/sauce
and I eat the garlic bread/sauce.

Also, you can have the ham and cheese omelet and hash
brown potatoes @ Bob Evans.  Once in a while we'll eat
b'fast there just to get out.

http://sbc.yahoo.com