From:
Michelle Zulli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Zulli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:41:34 -0500

I asked for suggestions for gluten-free lasagne and a gluten-free
strufoli recipe.  I received tons of responses!  Unfortunately, no one
had done a GF strufoli but many offered their suggestions for a GF
substitute for all-purpose flour.  I'm so grateful to all of you for
your responses.  Especially to Samantha for letting me know that Cafe
Baldo on Long Island makes GF cannoli!  Another person reminded me that
non-Italians love food too.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  Of
course, we all love it and food is an important part of celebrations in
every culture.  On to the summary . . .

GF all purpose flour sub:

 5 suggested Bette Hagman's all-purpose GF flour blend (add 1/2 tsp
   xanthan gum per 1 c flour); 1 person thinks the BH mix is gritty
 2 suggested Gluten Free Pantry's french bread/pizza mix; 1 suggested
   adding egg whites, additional yeast or baking soda to lighten it
 2 suggested a mix of tapioca flour and white rice flour (1 recommended
   proportions of 1 c tapioca flour to 2 c rice flour)
 1 suggestion each for:  Authentic Foods pancake mix; Ener-G Foods All
   Purpose Flour; cornstarch or almond flour (cup for cup substitute);
   Bob's Red Mill teff flour (sub 3/4 c + 1 tsp xanthan gum per cup
   all-purpose flour)

"Stuffed" macaronis (lasagna, shells, ravioli, etc.):

17 suggested Tinkyada lasagna noodles
 6 suggested Ener-G Foods lasagna noodles
 6 suggested De Boles lasagna noodles (2 suggestions for De Boles
   no-boil)
 6 suggested Pastariso lasagna noodles; 1 said they break down when
   reheated as leftovers
 5 suggested Bi-Aglut lasagna noodles
 3 suggested Ener-G Foods large shells; unfortunately these are not as
   big as I'd like for stuffed shells
 2 suggested not boiling the lasagna noodles before baking for a
   firmer noodle
 2 suggested Dietary Specialties frozen pre-stuffed shells
 2 suggested homemade dough is the way to go
 1 suggestion each for Dietary Specialties cheese ravioli; polenta
   lasagna (definitely going to try this); white corn tortillas instead
   of noodles

Ricotta:

 2 have no problems with ricotta; 1 said the trouble with ricotta is
   distilled vinegar so if that is not a problem for me, ricotta should
   be OK
 1 suggestion each for Dragone; Frigo; Sorrento; Stella brands

Misc:

 1 suggestion for Dr. Schaar's savoiardi (lady fingers) for tiramisu

Best regards,
Michelle