Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:57:01 -0500

>There doesn't seem to be a consensus on Benedryl. Some say the liquid is gf
>but the capsules are not. Some say none are gluten-free.
>
>One person called about Unisom to discover that it is gluten-free.

Instead of asking the list (which collectively seems real confused about
this product) I called the company and here's what they say:

First, they do not put any gluten in any Benadryl product. ALL Benadryl
products -- liquid or pill or capsule -- are formulated to be gluten free.
As discussed in some earlier posts on this very listserve, the company was
saying at one time that Benadryl had gluten, but we quickly found out that
was CORN gluten.

Pfizer (Warner Lambert) does use what seems to be the standard CYA
disclaimer that they cannot guarantee that all of their suppliers are free
of possible cross contamination. Note this is "possible" cross
contamination, not that the supplier might purposely slip them a wheat
product every now and then. That statement is, of course, technically true
of any supplier for any product on earth.

When I hear that legalese I assume a product is GF, as long as the company
will assure me that it is formulated not to have gluten. Many people with
CD, including me, take Benadryl.

cheers
richard