From:
Peetie Wheatstraw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:34:14 -0600
Re: Clone W2kP Desktop

Good Folks,

I have a little multi-boot desktop system at home.
The 2 hard drives look like (view this as "plain
text" if possible):

  Maxtor 30gb (Primary Master)
|      MTP1          |       MTP2                |
|       NT4          |      W2K Pro              |
|     active         |                           |
|   7gb / 6gb free   |  15gb / 9gb free          |
|________________________________________________|

  Western Digital 8gb (Primary Slave)
| WDP1 |                     WDP2                |
|  NTFS|                    W2K Pro              |
|active|                                         |
| 7mb  |                     8gb                 |
|________________________________________________|

All partitions are Primary, all file systems are
W2k NTFS.

The MTP2 partition is my everyday working partition.
It boots up as D:. I could die a horrible, horrible
death trying to replace/reconfigure everything in
this partition.

I would like to clone MTP2 to WDP2 so that even if the
Maxtor disk failed 100%, I could still boot/run my usual
system (after doing a bit of work). If I boot with only the
WD drive, it is my conjecture that WDP2 would come up as D:
(consistent with all the hard-coded drive references in the
config files). Is this practical to do?

Hoping that it was, I copied everything from MTP2 to WDP2
(including NTDETECT, NTLOADER, BOOT.INI and PAGEFILE.SYS)
using Explorer, then opened the case, disabled the Maxtor,
re-jumped the WD drive, reconfigured the bios for 1 drive,
and tested. It appeared that it was gonna boot OK but
eventually told me of a problem with PAGEFILE.SYS:
instructed me how to fix it when the desktop came up, then
failed to produce the desktop.  PAGEFILE.SYS (190 mb) was on
WDP2 but it had been copied from MTP2. W2KP cheerfully,
cheerfully went into an infinite loop. Anybody know how to
dodge this tender sweet little problem?

Can anyone give me an idea of what W2kP does and
doesn't do with HD partition info in the registry?
Is it practical to change it??

I have Partition Magic 7 and the W2KP backup software
(that I don't know how to use in this situation) and
run this system onna shoe-string, so I won't be
running out to buy additional hardware/software.

Any/all advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

  Peetie

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml