From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:18:20 -0500
Hi Ray

My answers and comments will be "in line"...between parts of your
message.

At 14:00 01/11/03, Ray New wrote:

>I understand your confusion. I should have said that the SCSI
>Select setting for both channels is "automatic".

The 2940UW is a single channel card. I think you are using the
word "channels" to refer to "wide" and "narrow". These are not
channels. (Sorry to be so precise...but it does help solve problems
when we both use the same meaning for the same terms. Dual channel
cards like the 3940UW have two different SCSI buses...exactly like
having two different PCI SCSI cards in your computer. And to further
confuse things, some SCSI cards like the 2940U2W have multiple
logical branches but not multiple channels.

>The configuration is as follows.
>
>WDE9100W = ID 0
>JUMPERS = 13/14, 23/24
>SCAM DISABLED = 17/18 OPEN
>
>IOMEGA ZIP 100 = ID 5
>
>2940UW    = ID 7
>TERMINATION WIDE = AUTOMATIC
>TERMINATION NARROW = AUTOMATIC

Try going into the 2940UW SCSI Select utility and set the
Termination as

TERMINATION WIDE = ON
TERMINATION NARROW = OFF

or

TERMINATION WIDE = ENABLED
TERMINATION NARROW = DISABLED

Don't get them backwards!

My 2940UW cards show 4 choices: Automatic, Low ON/High ON,
Low OFF/High OFF, Low OFF/High ON, and Low ON/High OFF.
(Adaptec means Low = narrow, High = wide.)

Maybe your controller is not successfully making the
Wide ON/Narrow OFF setting AUTOMATICALLY. Old versions of the
2940UW did not always auto-detect the correct settings. Mostly
this was with external devices, but who knows...

>I find no selection for "Low OFF, High ON". The selections are
>"AUTOMATIC", "ENABLE", "DISABLE". Is this possible due to BIOS
>upgrades? My card is at 2.11.0.

Your 2940UW BIOS version 2.11.0 is a later version than the 1.32
and the 1.34 that I have. So some of the choices (and the words
Adaptec uses) are probably different.

I never flashed to the 2.xx BIOS versions because there were
problems with some of them. (For all I know, those problems
may have been fixed by now.) Besides, flashing an Adaptec PCI SCSI
card requires pulling all PCI cards other than the particular
Adaptec card from the computer (I have more than one SCSI card in
each of my computers) and (maybe) unhooking all drives from the
remaining card. (This is what I read in newsgroups.) And there is
the pain of creating special DOS boot disks with the correct files.
So I never bothered. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."

>>For the Adaptec 2940UW, you should have termination set
>>for either "Low OFF, High ON" or "Automatic".
>
>It is the 68 pin version, no adapters used. Single perif. cable.

I thought you were using two internal cables: a wide cable (for
the WD hard drive) and a narrow cable (for the ZIP drive) ...
connected to the two internal connectors on the 2940UW.

Please correct me if I misunderstood!

>Did not find SCAM selection.

You really need to be sure it's off (i.e., disabled). Unless
Adaptec dropped support for SCAM in later 2940UW BIOS versions,
the setting is there somewhere.

In my BIOS 1.32, you get to the SCAM setting as follows:

My Adaptec SCSI Select BIOS Utility screen shows:

Configuration
      SCSI Bus Interface Definition
      SCSI Parity Checking
      Host Adapter SCSI Termination

Advanced Options
      Boot Device Options
      SCSI Device Configuration
      Advanced Configuration Options

Highlight "Advanced Configuration Options" (the last one) and
hit <Enter>. The first choice on this next screen is

Plug and play SCAM Support

Make sure it's set as disabled. (Probably is if you never changed
it.) By the way, SCAM stands for "SCSI Configuration Auto
Magically". I kid you not.

Regards,
Bill

                     visit our download web page at: