From:
Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:49:08 -0500
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 10:49:07 -0700, Charles E. White II <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello All.
>
>I have a WinXP home build with a definite display problem.  The machine
>works great in every other way.  I just checked the device manager.  The
>NVIDIA Geforce2 MX/MX400 is showing a "This device cannot start" message.
>When you go to display settings, it shows all of the available resolution
>setting and will even set them.  If I use the WinXP Home Update driver
>routine, it will search for and load a driver.  I checked the device manager
>after one of these and it showed the device as using IRQ 16...  Everything
>will work just fine in the current session.  If I reboot, the system agains
>says that the device cannot start.
>
>I have also downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDIA.  The machine acts as
>though it is loading and configuring, but when it reboots, the problem
>(situation) reverts to the "Device cannot start" message again...
>
>Any ideas?
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                          http://freepctech.com

Hi-

Is there any chance that Windows Update (online) might have an updated display driver for you?  I just went on & they had posted one for me within the past week.

Also try reseating the card?

This may not be it, though.  The fact that your changes aren't being saved is the real issue.  Try reposting with "display settings not saved on reboot" in the title- maybe someone else will respond?

Lynn Tracy

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml