EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:27:54 -0500
Hello EASI Colleagues,

What is the story on the HTML title attribute? How well is it supported? I know title is not a panacea, but it does seem to have potential for improving access to many previously inaccessible elements.

This question stems from a message I just received from a web master who is dealing with content providers who insist that she use "click here" for a mailto link. She is trying to work around this by using the title attribute for the link. She writes:

To me [click here] presents a problem. The link is not clear labeled; it has no definite destination. In addition it is contrary to Guideline 13. Provide clear navigation mechanisms,

checkpoint 13.1 Clearly identify the target of each link. [Priority 2]

Link text should be meaningful enough to make sense when read out of context-either on its own or as part of a sequence of links. Link text should also be terse.

For example, in HTML, write "Information about version 4.3" instead of "click here". In additional to clear link text, content developers may further clarify the target of a link with an informative link title (e.g., in HTML, the "title" attribute).

I tested the title attribute on a <<click here>> text link with the trial version of JAWS. It does not read the title on this text link.

If I [use the mouse to] put the focus in the table cell or near the link where the link is using the title attribute, JAWS will read the title.

Regardless of focus JAWS does read the title attribute around a graphic.

What are your thoughts around the title attribute and how does it work for users?

Alan Cantor
Project Manager
Strategic e-Government Implementation
e-Government, OCCS