EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:21:31 -0500
Thank you for the concise answer, David.

I believe that screen readers and talking browsers do more than interpret
table attributes. It would appear that JAWS -- I don't know about other screen
readers -- uses an algorithm to extract possible row and column header
information, even when headers are not specified. The algorithm works
remarkably well for simple data tables. I have been producing and testing
tables that do not use TH or SCOPE, and JAWS has read them all correctly.
(Thank you again David, for your mini-tutorial on JAWS's table-reading
hotkeys). I am sure that there are limits to what can be accomplished
algorithmically, and I will be testing increasingly complex tables during the
coming days. My goal is to determine the minimum mark-up to ensure that data
tables of differing complexity are screen reader accessible. (I will share my
results with the group.)

Does anyone know which table attributes Window-Eyes and Home Page Reader look
for?