From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:41:47 -0500

  Michelle, director of the celiac disease program at University of
Chicago, stated in a recent post that "Undiagnosed celiac disease does
not cause birth defects. There is no doubt in the medical literature
about this.  Any occurrence of celiac disease and birth defects is an
unfortunate coincidence.

On the website of the aformentioned university program, it states that:

<<Miscarriage and congenital malformation of the baby, such as neural
tube defects, are risks for untreated pregnant women with celiac disease
because of malabsorption of nutrients.

The direct link is
http://gi.bsd.uchicago.edu/diseases/nutritional/celiac_disease.html

Is this inaccurate information on the U of Chicago website?

I no longer have references handy, but I thought I had at one time read
the results of Italian research showing that in fact, women with
untreated celiac do have a greater risk of giving birth to an infant
with a neural tube defect.

You did state clearly that this is not the case, yet the website for the
program you direct states otherwise.  Please clarify....

:)
katherine in atl