From:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arletta Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:25:05 -0800

Hello Everyone,

Here's the McCann's Oatmeal summary, finally!  E-mails are still trickling
in.  Thank you all for your patience.  As indicated on the 11-18-2002 post
all responses have been positive.  Some people sent short notes of thanks,
the majority wanted the recipe & since posting it a few have already used it
and sent Email thanks.  Numerous list mates had much to say on this subject.

Only a few quotes will be used for this summary.  Many went to great lengths,
asking several questions &/or making additional comments in their responses.
There sure was a lot of terrific feedback.  Thanks to everyone!

I've tried to summarize by separating the Questions & Answers from Comments.

The following were the list appropriate questions, grouped together when
similar, followed by .....answers from my own personal experiences:

(15) list members wanted to know where to buy McCann's Oatmeal.

 (2) list members asked about mail order sources.

 (6) list members wondered what type and flavor oatmeal I use, (2) of these
asked if all of the flavors are known to be GF.

 (3) list members wanted to know what the packaging looked like so they could
find it easier.

.....Here in California, McCann's oats are readily available in so many
places.  Here are just a few examples:

1. Grocery stores:  Ralph's & Stater Brothers
2. Health food stores:  Vitamin City and many others.
3. Natural/ Specialty Stores:  Whole Foods, Wild Oats.
4. Import stores:  Trader Joe's, Cost Plus.

It appears they aren't as easy to find elsewhere in the USA, however I've
learned that Ralph's Grocery Stores are affiliated with the following stores
which may be in other areas:  Kroeger, Fred Meyer, Smith's, King Soopers,
Dillon, Fry's City Market, Food 4 Less & Quality Food Centers.  I don't know
if they would carry the same brands, but it's worth a try.

- Since this was a common question - if you live in an area where they're
available in different stores you might want post to the list.

I don't know if McCann's is available through a mail order source. Maybe the
McCann's website www.mccanns.ie will help. If you click on CONTACTS you'll
find distributors in USA, & other countries.

The website also shows pictures of their products including the Boxed
versions.  No picture of the Quick Cooking type, but it looks very similar to
those pictured.  The Quick Cooking box is gold with white backround and has
the same logo which is green.

I now use the Quick-Cooking type & these are the only ones I've used for
baking. They take three - five minutes to cook & for a change of pace I add
my own flavorings.

Several people in our local CDF connections group use the Instant & flavored
microwave types and they love them.  Although I don't use them it's not
because I wouldn't.  Several Emailed that they use this type also.  I don't
know what flavors anyone uses or if there are any flavors that aren't GF.
(Check the ingredients on the ones you might want to try &/or their website.)

(4) list members wondered how to you use the 'steel-cut' type, wondering how
you could use them in baking.

10) list members said they have a 'CAN' in the cupboard or were going out to
buy a 'CAN' (I'm afraid these are probably 'steel-cut').

(1) list member stated they could only find the 'steel-cut' & hated the
taste.

.....I personally liked the 'steel-cut' type, until they got a little stale,
then YUCK!  In fact, they were the first ones that I ever tried.  However,
the only way they worked well for me was to soak overnight for use the next
morning.  Like several others, I wondered how to use them for baking, also.
Still don't know but, their website has info on speeding up the process
w/blender &/or microwave & soaking.

BTW: Regarding the cross-contamination issue; I still think there may be
-less chance of cross-contamination- with the steel-cut type, as they are
handled less, (IMO).  They just take more time than I'm willing to spend.

(5) list members asked what kind of flour I use for baking &/or asked if I
mix my own.

(2) list members asked if I think Bob's Red Mill GF Flours are ok.

.....I am only one person with CD & DH having only my own experiences.  I
still have much to learn & I am not an expert at modified GF baking.
Therefore, I don't feel very qualified to give answers to these questions,
but I will share what I can.

I don't mix my own GF flour, however, many do.  Most whom I know that do, use
the proportions suggested in the many great celiac & cookbooks available.
ie: Bette Hagman's, Carol Fenster's, Shelly Case's, and Danna Korn's, etc.

I buy premixed general purpose GF flour at a local health food store or
Trader Joe's, when they have it.  My personal favorites are:  Sylvan Border
Farms and Gluten Free Pantry.  (A recent post Re: 'favorite flours/ bread'
didn't mention Sylvan Border Farms & I was surprised.  I think maybe they are
more available on the West Coast.)

I don't make very many baked items from scratch mainly because there are so
many Great GF Mixes for baked items available now.  My daughters and I have
all GF modified some old favorite recipes though, using the methods described
in the 'additional hints' of my previous posting of Grama's Cookie Recipe).
Use the flour you are accustomed to using for this or any GF modified recipe.

OK, this next one's difficult for me to answer.

To the best of my knowledge Bob's Red Mill GF Flours are GF and milled
separately from their other flours.  (This firm states they do GF testing.)
Their products along with Arrowhead Mills & Authentic Foods are also the most
readily available in regular grocery & health food stores in my area.

I personally, don't seem to be able to tolerate Bob's Red Mill nor Arrowhead
Mills brands very well (this may not be related to my CD/DH).  - I haven't
figured out why they bother me & they aren't my personal favorites for baking
anyway, so I don't use them.

I also noticed someone asked this question on this list. I do know people who
use both of these brands and are satisfied. Some who prefer them and Bob's
Red Mill was mentioned by three people among the responses I received.

The story of my own personal diagnosis and illness prior to diagnosis is just
too long to answer here, but I do appreciate that several people asked.

A few people also asked questions relating to their relatively new diagnosed
children and one said her child does eat Oats.  I am trying to get some good
information for you, from people with real experience in this area.  If I'm
able to get reliable input I will post later.  Unfortunately, I have very
limited experience with kids and CD/DH.  In the meantime, if you haven't
already, I'd suggest contacting R.O.C.K. Danna Korn at [log in to unmask]

[continued in part 2]