From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:37:00 -0500
I suspect this was a Win 95 machine, and you have not updated the BIOS. You will need to update the BIOS for it to see a big drive, even tho Win 98 supports big drives.  Your mobo still has the 2 gig limit.  Go to the mobo manufacturer's web site, look up your mobo, download an updated BIOS and do the flash update.  If you can't do that because there is no BIOS update, then you will either have to get a new mobo or buy the suggested PCI card with its own BIOS.  If it were me, I'd consider buying a new one like the Gateway that sells for $399 with no monitor.  This machine has a 2 gig processor, 40 gig hard drive, CDRW, and can be networked.  To update your machine would cost more than that unless you are capable of doing all the labor.

>Thank you Fred Nielson and everybody else that has been so kind to answer, I don't know if I explain my self but here it goes again.  I had a drive size 1.99GB but it wasn't big enough for me so I decided to buy a 20 GB hard drive I was running windows 98 but when I got the new drive I took the other one out and installed  the 20 GB hard drive, I partitioned the new drive and formatted , when I boot up it reads the model number of the 20 GB drive, I installed Windows ME, but when I go to control panel system it tells me that the drive is only 1.99Gb.
>
>I am running Windows ME
>The drive is IBM  model number IC35L020AVVN07-0 Capacity 20GB
>Processor Type Pentium with MMX (CT) Technology
>Processor speed 200MHZ
>Cache ram 512 KB
>Total memory 64MB
>Bios 4A3NT0X0.05A.0020.P05
>
>Primary IDE IC35L020AVVN07-0
>Primary slave none
>Secondary IDE Master  Sony CD-RW CRX19501
>Secondary IDE slave none

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com