From:
"Howard J. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard J. Davis
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:00:24 -0600
ve been using a Kenwood TH225 for more than 10 years.  It doesnt have any
voice functions on it, but I've learned to get by with it.  There are
probably better, new models available.  As a base unit, I'm using an old
Kenwood 2570, whic is only a 2 meter model.  I have this unit connected to a
power supply on my bench.  This radio does have a speech board in it and
works quite well.
Currently, I'm using a TenTec Omni 5 with the automatic antenna tuner.  The
Omni 5 has a voice board in t.  This too, works well for me.  I also,
recently, got a Kenwood TS 440 with the speech board in it.  This is my
second TS 440.
Prices??? I paid something like $300 for the Kenwood handitalkie (TH225) int
1992.   I got the TenTec new in 1994.  I paid something like $2400 for the
radio and another $875 for the antenna tuner a year or so later.  I did use
a Tuner Tuner and som kind of MFJ antenna tuner on this radio until I got
the used automatic tuner from TenTec.

I just picked up the Kenwood 440 within the last month.  I paid $400 for the
radio with a peech board.  I also got a power supply, whick stopped working
about a day after I got it, as well as some cabling and straight key and an
antenna switch.

I really have no idea what any of these radios may be worth at this time.
I did pay $400 for the Kenwood 2570 in 1992 and $700 for the first Kenwood
440 in 1992.  i sold the 440 in 1994 for $400.

When I got all these radios, i was working at ATT Bell Laboratories and had
a pretty good job.

Check local ham fests and local clubs.  These HF radios are being used by
other, sighted hams.

Good luck,
Howard Davis
KF9FN