From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:53:10 -0500
> A quick question for the wireless networkers out there.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions to inexpensively connect two
> computers that are in two houses about 500 meters (about 1,600
> feet) apart with line of sight between them?
>
> I looked at Orinoco yesterday (longer distance WiFi system) but
> don't think it has quite the speed I'd like.

        Well, that begs the question, what kind of speed would you like? You can
get a setup like this to work with WiFi, just barely. You'd need fixed
focused antennas on either end. It is doable but at the limit of that
particular technology. Is there NO way you could run a cable? That would by
far be the cheapest option, 10BASE5 (thick coax) is speced for up to 500m,
you could even go figure for higher speeds. TTYL

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com