From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:50:31 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Anyone who talks about blood sugar but fails to mention glucagon should not
> be taken seriously.

He does.  I shouldn't have taken a single quote out of context from a lengthy
article.   I did this because it's what stuck out to me since I frequently
eat meat/fat only meals and wanted to know if this would cause the same reaction
as that caused by what the author meant by protein only meals.  The next
sentence after what I previously posted reads:  "The adrenalin will mobilize
glycogen from the liver, and (along with the other hormones) will mobilize fatthy
acids, mainly from fat cells.  Cortisol will activate the conversion of protein
to amino acids, and then to fat and sugar, for energy use. (If the diet
doesn't contain enough protein to maintain the essential organs, especially the
heart, lungs, and brain, they are suppleied with protein from the skeletal
muscles.  Because of the amino acid composition of the muscle proteins, their
destruction stimulates the formation of additional cortisol, to accelerate the
movement of amino acids from the less important tissues to the essential ones.)"