From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:24:13 +0200
From: "Kylix _" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: Milk

Kylix wrote:

> I'm a little confused here.
> I've always thought that milk in general is not paleo,
> except for those few who have started to adapt to it

The paleolithic time is what we generally call stone age. It ended for some
of us 12.000 years ago and for some a little later. Paleolithic food is what
people ate up till that point of time. Millions of years before we became
farmers our body developed its nutritional needs according to what there was
to eat. I don't think anyone argues that people of that time kept cows and
from that follows that non human milk cannot be paleo even if some now
believe that it is good for us.

To this must be added that some people, a lot of us in fact only ended our
"stone age" way of life a few generations back and if you are one of these
you are in even higher danger of getting ill from non paleo food even if you
don't die immediatly from eating grains or drinking milk.

When you write:  > except for those few who have started to adapt to it<, it
sounds as if you use the word "paleo" instead of "good". It should be the
opposite: "What is good for you is paleo food because that is what your body
is in need of." The troubble we have is to make certain what paleo is.

It is true that swedes have good ability to digest lactose but that does not
necessarily mean that we have adapted to milk. We also have all the modern
western diseases including osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, stroke and
overweight. It is painful and expensive to the individual and expensive to
the tax payers and we must seriosly try to find out what causes it. I
believe that dairy is one of the villains but I would like someone to
disagree with me.

Anyway, paleolithic time is not any time, whether in Asia or Scandinavia, it
is by definition the time we lived whitout agriculture. Hope I'm not being
too tedious!
Eva