From:
Jerry Stegenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:45:53 EDT
In a message dated 6/27/2003 6:12:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Curious, have you had any large glucose spikes from
> foods that are generally considered low glycemic?
> I've read that meals containing 500+ calories will
> also spike glucose regardless of the macronutrient
> ratios.  Has that been your experience?

I eat meals that are high in protein and fat. The amount of CHO is very low.
Usually less than 10 grams. Fat or protein will not "Spike" me. CHO, even
those low on the glycemic index can spike me if I overindulge. Protein can cause a
delayed rise in BG about 3-4 hours after eating but usually the fat will
dampen this. I personally don't find the caloric content of a meal to be that
significant. For me the amount and type of CHO is the most important factor. A
typical large meal for me will be a 1/4 fryer chicken (steamed) with a lettuce
salad. (1 cup lettuce, cucumber, hard-boiled egg, real mayo). usually I will
have a glass of wine with this meal (cabernet).  I hope this is of help.
JerrySteg