From:
Erik Fridén <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:03:32 +0200
To my dismay, after reading a bit in "Neanderthin"
again, it turns out the meatpatty-recipe I posted to
the paleorecipe-site is actually unpaleo! It contains
beetroots, and according to R.A. all "beets" (listed
under "potatoes" no less!) are non-paleo. The only
subterranean food listed as paleo are carrots. Please
enlighten me as to why certain roots are no-nos! It
must be scientifically based on inherent differences,
right? And these are the ones I see:

1)Tubers/bulbs (potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes and so
on) act as seeds and like grain thus contain more
toxins, whereas roots do not play a direct part in the
procreation of the plant (= less need for toxicity).

2)All domesticated roots and tubers are what (in
Swedish at least) is known as "nursing roots", that
is: they are not merely transmitters of "the good
stuff", but actually store up nourishment for the
second (and last!) year in that plant's life. The
paleo/no-no dichotomy might then have something to do
with the main substance they store up: starch
(potatoes, parsnips etc.), inulin (chikory, Jerusalem
artichoke etc.), complex sugars (carrots, beets,
turnips etc.) or even fat (sorry - forgot the
examples!).

3)Toxicity. Why one shouldn't eat cassava/manioc is
pretty obvious to me, potatoes - OK, I understand that
also. But turnips and beets ARE edible raw! Even meat
and water is toxic at levels high enough...

Please help the Swedish chef!!!
Erik Fridén

=====
"Mensch, werde wesentlich! Denn wenn die Welt vergeht,
so fällt der Zufall weg; das Wesen, das besteht.
Viel haben macht nicht reich. Der ist ein reicher Mann,
der alles was er hat, ohn' Leid verlieren kann.
Freund, so du etwas bist, so bleib doch ja nicht stehn:
Man muß aus einem Lichte fort ins and're gehn."
        Angelus Silesius

Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html