From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:10:52 -0500
Hans,

Right you are!

Sweden is a model of where infections/contamination should eliminated.  In
Sweden, emphasis is placed on preventing pathogenic infections at the farm
level, including measures to improve animal health.

In Canada, and likely most of the world, emphasis is placed on the
consumer/food retail level to eliminate pathogenic infections via prevention
of cross contamination, thorough cooking, and other temperature controls.
All in the name of factory farming and business-as-usual.  That's why we
have thousands of foodborne illnesses with hundreds of serious systemic
complications annually.  That's also why our national health agency is
trumpeting the need for irradiation of raw meat.

In Sweden, probiotics are sometimes used in animal feeds to help outcompete
pathogens.  In Canada, we drug the animals with antibiotics, giving rise to
antibiotic-resistant strains of pathogens, weaken animals through the stress
of factory farming, and treat human victims with more antibiotics and other
drugs (which are becoming less effective).  Keeps the drug companies happy!

Rob