From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 05:43:43 -0500
Hi,

in January Elizabeth posted something about homocysteine and it's dangers.
Homocysteine is made by the body in the process of converting methionine to
the really needed cysteine.
So I had the idea to scan the database for food items *already* high in
cyysteine. (my post describing this idea
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0301&L=paleofood&P=3404 )

Now I've made a query indicating the ratio of cysteine to methionine.
If that's a theeory, then eating much high cysteine food items would lower
homocysteine hence be beneficial for IHD (as an example).
Many proteins have 1:1 equal of both. (column ratiocyst2met).
Some have much more cy some much more met.
Lentils and almonds, oats and hazel are relative
high in cysteine. (ratio 1.5:1)
Pumpkin seeds, rice, brazils, salmon,milk, beef and various meats are at 0.5:1
One of the best meats: pork kidney (1:1) and beef lungs (0.77:1).

Here's the table: http://www.geocities.com/paleolix/CYT_PROTEIN_RATIO.html
Interesting is the column  ratiocyst2met (sorted) or cystein per protein.
High values should be beneficial.
I selected again my whole food items but only those with > 2g protein.

Does anybody know his or her homocystein test value? And would like to test
if some time with high cystein-foods might lower the homocystein results?
Preferrably with a protein intake of less than double or 3-fold the RDA
(less than 100 or 150 g protein or 500g-750g meat per day). Because in
3-fold RDA even low percents of cysteine would result in high enough
cysteine intake.

regards

Amadeus