From:
Sean McBride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:32:16 +1000
> the O'Dea study is one of the two references Cordian uses. How such a
study
> becomes a reference to what aborigines actually ate i have no idea.

Well I guess because they resorted to their previous traditional diet.  A
number of people still retain the knowledge and pass it on.  They just don't
prepare a lot of the traditional foods like cycad bread because it is too
time consuming (exception being special occasions).  I think it was
representative of what Aborigines ate prior to white influence but maybe I
misunderstand your question...

> >She states that the diet was low-fat (I'm not sure that she >actually
> measured it to make sure it was really low fat).
> my memory is that the low-carb aspect was emphasised more, but I might be
> wrong.

I didn't get that impression from the video.  They were cutting up turtles
and digging for yams. The video was really about low fat diets and so they
stressed that.

> its relevance is about zero for our purposes.

I think its relevance is that certain types of diet can reverse certain
diseases.  The whole gist of the video was that we could be applying the
principle to our lives.

> >You have mentioned in previous posts about the Bogong >moths which are
> definitely high in fat and also correctly state >IIRC that they lasted for
> few months.
> what's IIRC??

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

November to January.  See http://www.insects.org/ced1/aust_abor.html

> undoubtedly paleos/indigenous had shortages of fat at times, due to bad
> weather etc. then the weaker ones just died if ti was prolonged.  Gregg
> plans to test out this variable caloric intake and then report back if he
> made through alive or not.

Is Gregg a researcher or someone on this list?

Cheers

Sean