From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:54:21 -0700
You are correct Todd.
I said:
" A ketogenic diet excludes gluten and usually milk.... these are
sources of opioid peptides"

That was a poor choice of words on my part. It would have been better to
say something like: "..... and often milk".

The Donaldson et al. study I cited definitely excluded milk, and most of
the folks I communicate with on this issue also exclude milk. I believe
that some keto studies exclude dairy just to avoid the confounding
variable of milk allergy... a common condition among children. Dairy is
a Neolithic food, and I sometimes forget that many folks still view it
as healthful.

>But I asked about ketogenic diets *as usually implemented*, in
connection >with Ron Hoggan's claim.  My impression is that these diets
do not not >usually exclude dairy.

I don't know if compliance with a ketogenic diet is widespread enough to
say that anything about it is usual. Still, the Stanford keto site only
offers a dairy-free alternative, and other keto advocates also encourage
the consumption of cream and butter.

I will try to remember to choose my words more carefully in future.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan
Co-author of Dangerous Grains