From:
Evelyn McWilliams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:52:01 +1100
Adrienne,
I read a piece in this morning's paper (Sydney Morning Herald) debunking the
theory in favour of 'grazing'. Here's the extract, for what it's worth. (The
reference to hunter-gatherers eating a diet low in fat will act as a red rag
to the bulls on this list, so I'm not claiming to agree with any of it, ok!
Nevertheless, the original Lancet study might be worth checking out.)

Evelyn

"... a new book, Fat Land, by an American journalist, Greg Critser ... cites
a study published in the medical journal Lancet in 2001 which demolished any
virtues from the habit of "grazing", eating snacks between meals: "Not only
did hunter-gatherers eat a diet low in fat and derived mainly from slowly
absorbed carbohydrates, but also by eating less frequently they spent long
periods of the day post-absorptively [fasting]. Today's grazing culture
results in a disproportionate amount of time being spent post-prandially,
which favours glycogen synthesis and fat disposition."