From:
bruce sherrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:40:43 -0700
Todd Moody writes:
>Incidentally, although I've seen people on this list talk about uncured
>bacon, as far as I'm concerned this is an oxymoron, like unfermented
>beer.  Bacon is by definition a cured meat.  If it isn't cured, it's not
>bacon; it's just pork belly.

There are several different meanings to the term "curing" when referring
to cured meat products.   Generally, curing refers to any form of
preserving.  However, curing mixtures which include sodium nitrate and/or
sodium nitrite are called curing salts.  Processes which use curing salts
are also referred to as curing, a term which can be used (confusingly)
to distinguish them from other forms of preservation which do not use
curing salt.

Thus, "uncured" bacon means bacon that is cured (preserved),
without using curing salt (sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite).

-Bruce