Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:00:51 +0900
Philip Thrift wrote:

> It seems that with more discoveries of paleolithic living sites,
> there is more evidence, whether pits, or other methods eg:
>
> http://www.s-t.com/daily/07-98/07-24-98/c02li088.htm

> Mousterians did not have pots or pans. Blackened bits of tortoise
> shell in Stiner's collection are evidence that the catch of the day
> was roasted on the open fire.

I am not saying meat was not cooked. I just wonder how much
of it was, and when. Less earlier and more later. There
should be all kinds of evidence if it was common, charred
bones, carbonized meat, things like that. How long ago did
it become the dominant practice? Any thoughts, or good links?

By the way, is anyone on this list trying pure carnivory? Andrew?

I heard a good food story today, about grasshopper eating
here in Japan. Seems they gather them, soak them in sweet
soy sauce, and eat them as a new years holiday treat. My
friend tells me there is no taste except the soy sauce. Not
too common.