C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 17:04:21 -0400
Joy,

I also do yoga, but I do it more for the physical benefits and don't really
get into the spiritual side of it.  I learned the poses (or asanas) by
taking a class that was offered at the gym I belong to.  The instructor
there is trained in both ashtanga and hatha yoga so she mixes the two
styles.  I'm no yoga expert so I couldn't tell which parts are which types,
though!  I have purchased a few video tapes also and do them when I can't
get to the gym.  I find it VERY beneficial for my balance, flexibility and
for reducing stress.  I use a strap to take some of the stretches farther,
yoga blocks for support when I can't get into a pose quite as far as the
able-bodied folks and a folded blanket to cushion my behind and relieve some
hip tension when sitting down.  I also hold onto the bar that is attached to
the wall for balance (or my couch or wall when at home).

If I remember correctly, you are in college?  If so, perhaps there are
classes you can attend on campus to see what you like and are able to do.
Some of the poses I am not able to do so I just substitute one of my daily
stretches while everyone else does that pose or I modify it in some way with
props.  The other thing I do is keep my shoes on so that I have more balance
and support (since I have orthodics in my shoes).

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Linda