C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 13:04:24 -0400
Thanks to everyone who asked about my new job!  I have a summer internship
in feminism and public policy at the Feminist Majority Foundation.  You can
find out more about it at http://www.feminist.org.  They work on keeping
abortion safe and legal, lobbying on legislation that has a direct impact on
women, educating young feminists on campuses across the country, and tons of
other stuff. I know a lot of you might not agree with their positions, but
it's perfect for me.  This is what I want to do with the rest of my life, so
it's giving me great experience.

 In my first week, I got to go to a Senate hearing on appropriations for
Afghanistan, go with the medical director for her interview on MSNBC about
emergency contraception, and discuss media bias with Eleanor Smeal, the
president of the organization and one of the preeminent feminist of the
previous generation.

I'm really enjoying it, but my body hasn't quite adjusted to the hours yet.
I get up at 7:15, commute an hour on the Metro to Rosslyn, work all day, and
don't get home until around 8.  Totally different from my schedule as a
student, where I'd get up around 11, and stay up until around 2.

It's an internship, so I'm technically not getting paid, but one of the
things I really like about it is that they separate out administrative work
(like filing, answering phones, database maintenance, copying) and pay me $8
an hour for that stuff.  So, I'm making enough money to cover transportation
and some "luxuries".  This is the first time I'm making my own money, and
I'm loving it.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm just very excited about this.
~Joy~