C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 15:17:05 -0400
I use a power chair.  I agree with you about the price.  But, for me, it's
worth the money.  Nothing is more valuable to my quality of life than my
chair, and there is nothing I would rather spend the money on.  My family
and I have been saving since we first heard about it, and I hope to get one
soon after it is released.

I know that there are going to be a lot of restrictions on who can get one,
but I'm willing to jump through those hoops.  IMHO, it's no different than
driving school before you get your license.

No power chair that I know of has the same level of mobility in gravel and
sand.  No power chair that I know of can negotiate curbs without cuts.  No
power chair that I know of can move in an elevated position.  And that's not
even considering the stair climbing ability, which will eliminate some of
the most frustrating barriers that I face.  I'll be able to go into
restaurants, clubs, and my friends' homes.  I'll be able to go pretty much
anywhere without worrying about stairs!  That is worth it to me.

I think your worries about it being used as an excuse not to implement the
ADA are unfounded.  The vast majority of people aren't going to get an
iBot... It's not going to be covered by insurance.  I doubt that people are
going to propose getting an iBot as a solution for ADA compliance instead of
putting in ramps.  Many people simply cannot use it, due to severity of
disability, so that would be a ridiculous proposal.  People come up with
enough excuses, but I see the iBot as a way for me to transcend the barriers
of ADA noncompliance.

I'm not saying that people should get iBots so that no one has to make
things more accessible.  That's absurd!  But, it would make my life easier,
in that I wouldn't have to worry about things being accessible.  We all know
that people are slow to comply, and I won't have to worry about it anymore
on a personal level.  That doesn't mean that no one should make things
accessible for the many people who can't afford or qualify for iBots.

~Joy~