C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:16:35 -0700
Bobby, et al.,

I definitely do, if I'm not careful.  I think it's due to a number of
factors, including some degenerative joint disease in my left ankle, as
well as problems in my right arm and hand, that holds on to my cane.  My
CP presents as left hemiplegia/hemiparesis, so that explains the
"diagonal" effects on my body.  My last major fall was about a month and
a half ago, and I've still got pain in my left shoulder because of that
one.  I find myself being _really_ careful when I walk with my cane,
especially on hard surfaces.  Consequently, it takes close to twice as
long sometimes to do even short distances.  I live in Wyoming, so ice
makes things that much worse.  I'm looking forward to June, as that's
the first month we're basically assured of not having significant
snowfall and ice.

I remember a thread from a while back talking about CP being
degenerative.  I think that the neurological effects we have may not be,
but the ways we  use other parts of our body to compensate make "over
use" syndromes much more likely.

Kendall Corbett