From:
Brett Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:37:36 -0700
I recall doing a great deal with MARS BUT MY PERSONAL LIFE GOT TOO BUSY TO SUSTAIN THIS WITH GROWING KIDS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES.  THERE WAS A TIME WHILE IN COLLEGE THAT I LOGGED  120 OR 140 HOURS A MONTH.  I DO RECALL ONE EVENING TAKING 70 NMAT MESSAGES FROM  THE REGION DISTRIBUTION NET FOR Idaho.  that session my plate resister in my swan 270 blew midway through the net in my dorm room and I ran with my cassette recorder etc about ½ mile to the w7uq university station to continue taking the traffic off the net.  I was so out of breath that I told the NECOS to read conversational speed and I toned each message as it went by.  than I rogered for all at one time.  This admittedly was not according to our rules and practice at the time but got the job done.

More  stories later but need to get to work.

thank you!

BRETT K WINCHESTER  PM  KD7JN   VOLUNTEER & READING SERVICES MANAGER
[log in to unmask]     http://www.icbvi.state.id.us/brochure/RADIO.HTM
Member IAAIS International Association of Audio Information Services
IDAHO COMMISSION f/t BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED - ICBVI
P O BOX 83720,    341 W WASHINGTON,    BOISE IDAHO  83720-0012
208-334-3220 ext 104 +7=voice mail after hours,                    Fax  208-334-2963

On 2003-11-18 [log in to unmask] said:
   >Yes there used to be a lot of traffic especially from the Great
   >Lakes Naval Training Center who sent out book messages: "Arrived
   >safely USNTC Great Lakes Illinois.  Will write as soon as I get my
   >company number."  Boy there were thousands sent hi hi.  Used to get
   >from Camp LeJune, NC and from the US Marine Training Corps in
   >Twenty Nine Palms California.  Then there was the Florida State
   >Fair etc etc.  Lots of fun.
Yah I remember hearing a lot of those, "arrived safely Marine Corps
recruiting depot San Diego California" and others.

SOme folks still do them from certain events.  I believe the FLorida
STate fair still did some a couple years ago as well as the EAA
flyover and another air show in FLorida.

JOe lee from Pinole California uses ham radio to send greetings to
veterans of his old military unit and used NTS to remind them of their
reunion last year.  I used NTS a few years ago to remind family
members who lived far away   to make plans to attend the big family
reunion.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania