From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 19:07:27 -0400
That wasn't quite clear enough.  I do own a gimmick, one of the
Conway units, and it is connected across the SWR meter in the linear
amplifier.  A voltage-controlled oscillator is definitely called for;
it's just a question of where in the system you hook it up.

If you adopt methods like mine, you will need to spend a little time
working with a sighted person to establish some rough presets for the
plate tuning and loading controls.  Hopefully they have pointers on
them.  It's also helpful to have a dummy load available; you can tune
up on that and then switch to your antenna if necessary for final
touch-up.

When I'm on the air, I work 80 through 10 meters, mostly CW and
mostly DX contests.  Twenty meters has been excellent in the late
evenings lately.  Last night I worked 9K2 and a couple of Russians.
A few weeks ago I finally worked Albania (as you can guess, I'm not
on the air all that much).  I need to have some antenna work done
this summer because my 40 dipole is down, and for some reason, the
KT34XA 6-element tribander at 60 feet won't turn north of northeast.
Also, after 7 years off the air, it might be time to get the linear
amplifier repaired.

On Sun, 18 May 2003 18:57:38 -02-30, Michael wrote:

>Lloyd:
>
>Do you have enough vision to read the SWR meter on an antenna tuner?  I
>don't so I'm wondering how I might accomplish your tuning methods with out
>any sort of device connected.
>Also can you work multiple bands?
>My main transceiver of interest is the Yaesu FT-101ZD/102.  I know, quite
>well, an owner of a 101ZD and an owner of 2 102s and they haven't been
>exactly cooperative with allowing  me to attach any sort of tuning aid to
>there rigs.  I guess you can't blame them <HI HI> with the value of these
>grate old classics.
>
>73:
>Michael VO1RYN

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
home: <http://lras.home.sprynet.com/>
Work:  <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>