Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:30:27 -0500
> As far as I understand it, the fish are fed an artificial diet, usually
grain
> pellets. This is similar to what is done in conventional farming of
animals
> with similar results: Unfavorable fat profiles and ratios.

"These fish farms contribute to the problem because the captive salmon must
be fed. Salmon are carnivores and, unlike vegetarian catfish that are fed
grain on farms, they need to eat fish to bulk up fast and remain healthy.

It takes about 2.4 pounds of wild fish to produce one pound of farmed
salmon, according to Rosamond L. Naylor, an agricultural economist at
Stanford's Center for Environmental Science and Policy.

That means grinding up a lot of sardines, anchovies, mackerel, herring and
other fish to produce the oil and meal compressed into pellets of salmon
chow.

"We are not taking strain off wild fisheries. We are adding to it," Naylor
said. "This cannot be sustained forever."
source: www.mercola.com/2002/dec/28/fish_farms.htm

Rob