Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:06:33 +0900
Jana Eagle wrote:

> Anyway, I just wanted to share this anecdote.  Who's to say that just
> men hunted?  Who's to say that just women gathered?  Who's to say that
> paleo people didn't scavenge prey that was already killed by another
> animal?  Thinking like a hunter-gatherer (and a feminist), it doesn't
> bother me in the least if it is true that men were the ones who
> provided most of the food that my tribe ate.  because i know there was
> a lot of work to be done by all to provide for everyone.

It is funny how diet seems to be tied in with politics,
isn't it? By the way, in terms of "hunting" women did
collect a lot of animal foods, usually the smaller types as
they gathered. I have read that in some eastern American
Indian peoples women hunted big game along with the men. I
don't have any idea how common this was. Certainly in Europe
the gods of the hunt were all goddesses, Artemis, and so on.
Suggestive of something anyway.