Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:29:56 -0800
7bit
From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Tom,

Well, that depends on several factors.   First of all, different areas
of the country have different band plans; that is, how much space
should be between repeater frequenceis, whether the split should have
high input and low output or the other way around, and just what the
split should be.

Generally though, on two meters as an example, repeaters with outputs
between 145.11 and 145.49 will have an input frequency 600 KHz lower.
The same for the 146 to 147 range, but the 147 to 148 range will have
the input 600 KHz higher than the output.

On 440 in northern California for example, the split is 5 MHz with the
input frequency being 5 MHz higher than the output.  I don't know if
this still holds true in southern california, but it used to be that
the outputs were 5 MHz higher than the inputs or "upside down" as we
sued to call them.

There are always exceptions to these however, both in the direction of
the input to the output and also the amount of split.  There's no
actual regulation governing this though.

This is why a handheld, for example, will allow you to set the amount
of input/output split as well as the direction of output to input if
the automatic offsets don't work correctly in your area.

Hope this makes a little sense anyway.

On two meters the automatic offsets for transceivers will have the
innput frequency 600 Khz lower in the 145 and 146 frequency range and
higher for the 147 range.

Don  W6SMB