Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:46:12 -0400
Hi,

I sent the following note to Ten-Tec regarding their new rig, the
Argonaut V (20 watts, all-mode HF):

Hi:

This looks like a very interesting radio indeed. However, I have (as a
blind ham) a couple of usability questions, possibly suggestions:

1. Are there a lot of configuration menus? If there are configuration
   menus, are there any sort of audible cues to indicate first or last
   menu selections, default states of menu options, etc.? (If not, I
   submit that these would be good for anyone, not just blind
   hams. Think of hams who are mobile and may not want to look at
   their displays excessively, preferring to concentrate on driving
   instead.)

2. Is direct frequency entry via a numeric keypad available either
   standard or as an option? See usability comments for the first
   question.

3. Is there a speech synthesizer option for the reading of operating
   frequency or other operating parameters? If not, would it be
   difficult to implement this feature, or one that sends useful
   information in cw through the rig's speaker? (I'd submit that this
   would be extremely useful in not only mobile conditions but also in
   power limited conditions where excessive use of display lights (and
   not enough ambiant light) would be difficult.

A computer interface is not, IMO, a valid replacement for these
options. If I'm using this rig portable (or any rig portable, for that
matter), I don't want to have to lug a computer along as well just to,
say, operate cw!

I would appreciate any input to this question you would have. If these
features are not currently available, could they be made available
through some firmware upgrade and in what sort of time-frame? I may be
in a position at some point in the not-very-distant future to purchase
a QRP rig, and, being interested in QRP and portable HF these days,
I'd love to consider yours.

Vy 73,
Buddy, KB5ELV
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV    | From the pines down to the projects,
Email: [log in to unmask] | Life pushes up through the cracks.