EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kerri Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:42:38 -0400
> One thing that we haven't said yet, but should: don't use tables for
> layout.

CSS does degrade gracefully...but sometimes it doesn't UPGRADE gracefully.
:-) I have users who still have 16-bit or early 32-bit operating systems,
which they're stuck with because they can't afford the $500 or so it would
cost to buy new adaptive software. Some pages built with CSS in 4.x versions
of Netscape, for example, look criminal. :-)

I think the edict "no tables for layout" can be prohibitively strict. here's
what the W3C recommends, and I recommend to my developers, while following
all Priority 1 guidelines (e.g. an alternative equivalent is not an
option...either it linearalizes properly or don't use it).

-------------------------
5.2 Tables for layout
Checkpoints in this section:

5.3 Do not use tables for layout unless the table makes sense when
linearized. Otherwise, if the table does not make sense, provide an
alternative equivalent (which may be a linearized version). [Priority 2]
5.4 If a table is used for layout, do not use any structural markup for the
purpose of visual formatting. [Priority 2]
Authors should use style sheets for layout and positioning. However, when it
is necessary to use a table for layout, the table must linearize in a
readable order. When a table is linearized, the contents of the cells become
a series of paragraphs (e.g., down the page) one after another. Cells should
make sense when read in row order and should include structural elements
(that create paragraphs, headings, lists, etc.) so the page makes sense
after linearization.

Also, when using tables to create a layout, do not use structural markup to
create visual formatting. For example, the TH (table header) element, is
usually displayed visually as centered, and bold. If a cell is not actually
a header for a row or column of data, use style sheets or formatting
attributes of the element.

So, basically, using a table to create a familiar "nav down the left side"
web page generally linearalizes properly, because it reads the top left
first, and that nav cell is usually read in the appropriate order. Just my
two measley cents.

Kerri A. Hicks
Scholarly Technology Group
Brown University