From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:23:49 -0400

This is a kosher meat processor. It has fresh/frozen chicken, cornish
hen, turkey, lamb, beef and veal plus it has a large selection of deli
products. They sell under the brand names " Aaron's Best, "Shor Habor",
"European Glatt", "Natural American" and "Bet Yosef". They do ship to
Europe, Hong Kong, United States and Israel.

I was just told that all their products are gluten free. The modified
food starch is from corn and they do have a few products with soy (which
is on the label). They thoroughly clean all the equipment between
batches of products so believe they remove any residue from the previous
batch so it was felt that anyone allergic to corn/soy could safely eat
the products that do not include that ingredient.

BTW they are working on a beef/turkey kielbasa that they hope to market
next spring (I have been wanting a turkey kielbasa for years and there
are currently none that are kosher). I also talked with them about
letting people know their products were gf and suggested they 1-put it
on the package (which was rejected <sigh>) 2-put it on their website or
3-when someone calls to verify if their products are gf make it is easy
to be told this information. When I called I had to talk to 3 different
people, yes everyone was cooperative and responded quickly, but if your
life is like mine you don't have time to talk to a bunch of people each
time you need to verify something is gf.

The plant was located in Iowa to be near the source of meat and they
have apparently developed relationships with their suppliers. According
to their website "We do not believe in the use of growth hormones or
other chemicals." and "Our poultry are raised especially for us in
unique  housing. Our free-roaming birds are fed a specially blended,
natural and healthy mixture of the finest Midwestern corn and grain"

Their website is: http://www.rubashkin.com
the email address is currently not working, but they are now aware of
the problem and are working on it.
The list of their products is not complete.
The plant is in Iowa: 563-864-7811
The area code is new and the one on the website is incorrect.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA