EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:50:32 -0800
EASI folks need to know about this new tactile map web service that Josh
Miele is making.  He has sent me some examples of my own neighborhood, and
I'm absolutely blown away.  So easy and so excellent.  Blind people need
never be without a tactile street map again.

John

>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:38:51 -0800
>To: (TMAP interest)
>From: "Joshua A. Miele" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: new tactile maps on-line
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>Please feel free to forward the following message to colleagues who might
>be interested.
>
>-----
>I wanted to let the list know about a project currently under way here at
>The Smith-Kett                  lewell Eye Research Institute to provide
>tactile street
>maps over the web. The system uses a server-based geographic information
>system (GIS), and will be able to produce tactile graphics files properly
>prepared for standard Braille embossers, swell paper, ViewPlus Tiger
>embossers, or other tactile output devices. Ultimately, The software will
>be available as an on-line service that allows anyone to request a tactile
>street map of any location at any scale, download the files and emboss or
>render the tactile map immediately. The street maps are automatically
>produced with appropriate information density, Braille labels, and simple
>line figures, to optimize their use by a blind map reader. The user will
>have a high degree of flexibility over how an individual map appears, the
>kinds of features represented, labeling style, and map key information.
>Currently the GIS that we are using (TIGER Line Maps from the US Census
>Bureau) includes only USA data, but in the future, it will be possible to
>use richer data sources that include street information on a more global
>basis.
>
>We will be presenting an update and demo of this project at the up-coming
>CSUN conference on Technology and Persons with Disabilities in LA on March
>17th.
>
>If you are interested in learning more about this project or the
>presentation, or would like to become a beta tester of the service, please
>visit
>
>http://www.ski.org/tmap
>
>If you have specific questions about the project please feel free to
>contact me at this e-mail address.
>
>--JAM
>--------------------------------
>Joshua A. Miele, Ph.D., Post Doctoral Fellow
>The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
>2318 Fillmore St.
>San Francisco, CA 94115
>
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>Voice: 415/345-2113
>Fax: 415/202-0780
>
>http://www.ski.org

John A. Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
tel: (541) 737 3278
FAX: (541) 737 1683
        SAP URL: http://dots.physics.orst.edu/

 See EASI Special October Bonus offer at http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI November courses are:
Barrier-free E-learning, Accessible Internet Multimedia and Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design:
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi

>>> Error in line 8 of EASI.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<