Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:52:40 -0500
Sounds like a bad monitor--Try another one or try it in another system.
Your right, It's unlkely both Pc's would go bad at the same time.

Also, a battery is not connected to this problem but if the monitor has been setting for a time, dust is an enemy. High humidity is another and electronics parts (capacitors dry out)break down over time when unused. And especially so, when an unused monitor is first turned on, the high voltage surges will zap weaker parts.
This is why some people leave their systems on 24\7.

Since the monitor light comes on your getting power to it. Also check the video cable pins as they get bent.

Mike michel

 --- On Thu 01/23, Paul Ecclestone wrote:

I have 2 computers and a known to be good monitor.  Both computers (486's)all of a sudden give no video signal.  It would seem very unlikely that they both would have a video card go bad at the same time.
 The monitor is original to the computer.  The computers were not hooked up for awhile - hence no electrical surge would explain.  Would a possible dead battery cause this?  I suspect not, but...

When firing them up, the monitor light comes on for a second, turns
orange, then shuts off.  Nothing makes it to the screen.

The most personalized portal on the Web!</font>

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com