From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:11:29 EST
In a message dated 1/10/03 9:56:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> My customer has a  Win98SE machine (Intel Celeron 400) using a internal
> modem to connect to the internet.  She wants to share files (only) with a
> WinXP-pro machine (PIII 1GH).  We purchased a NIC for the XP machine and
> connected it to the Win98SE (internal NIC) with no problems so far.  ...
> The XP machine does not list itself on a network (not even the name of the
> workgroup), the Win98SE oes in network neighborhood.  I can ping each
> machine with no loss but each machine cannot see each other in My Network
> Places, etc.  Each is set up
> with the same workgroup and different name.  I tested the cable connecting
> to a XP laptop, no problems. I tried the ICS wizards from the XP CD on each
> machine also with no results.....  . The host is set to 168.192.0.1 and
> internet dialup networking has always worked. I disabled ZoneAlarm.   Is
> there something simple I am missing?  Thank you for your help.
> Howard Rubin

Howard,
If you're connecting two comps directly to each other I believe you'll need a
crossover cable.  Also, WinXP also has a networking wizard that will create a
floppy you run on the 98se comp.  ICS is the internet connection sharing, you
mentioned the client only wanted to share files.  Make sure you set a folder
or directory on each machine to be shared with the other.

HTH,
Kevin Nowicki

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com