From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:42:27 -0500
In general, minimum requirements can be broken down into two categories,
suitable speed, and supported function.  Intel processors are not only
faster in each new generation, they incorporate new functionality.  If the
hardware or software depends on a new function only found in P-III or higher
cpus, for instance, then you have no alternative.  But if the requirement is
based solely on raw speed, then you can always try to stretch the limit.

I have on occasion undershot the minimum cpu mhz without ill effect.  You
may notice that you can't rip music off of it as fast as advertised.  Set
the jitter correction on, and push the read speed back a little.  I can't
comment on whether burn-proof technology, which adjusts the burn speed
automatically to compensate for system resources, will work if you fail to
meet minimum specs.  I have never placed such a burner in an under-classed
pc.  I don't know if the Yamaha supports this technology.

Another thing to learn to live with is test burns.  I never test (simulate)
a burn to check for underruns, etc with my SCSI burner, but you will
probably have to accept that as part of the bargain if you use the Yamaha.
Tom Turak