From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 00:04:45 -0500
On Thursday 02 January 2003 06:01 pm, Ian wrote:
> Thanks Dennis.  As I posted earlier, I decided to roll with (ug) ME.  And
> thanks for the link to the DriverGraveyard - hadn't seen that one.
>
> However, your comment about Win98 being possibly the commonest OS prompts
> me to ask this question of those group members who use it.
>
> I understand that M$ will be pulling the plug on W98 in June 2003.  Is this
> correct?  And if so, what do you plan to do about it?  Will you try and
> carry on with W98?
>
> As a died-in-the-wool devotee of W98SE, I'm interested to hear your
> thoughts.
>
> Ian Porter
> Computer Guys Inc.
> Arrowtown
> New Zealand

Ian:
You asked, so here's my two cents: I converted to Linux several years ago. I
still have Win98SE installed on this computer, but I don't use it more than
once or twice a month.

My primary reason for converting was to be free of the hassles associated with
Windows -- BSOD's, defragging, scanning for viruses, downloading yet another
security upgrade, etc -- and I haven't been disappointed. It took some work,
but it wasn't as hard as some folks might lead you to believe, either. YMMV.

I'm neither a propeller head nor a professional techie, although I have been
messing with personal computers since 1978. My usage is largely surfing,
e-mail, occasional word processing, and infrequent spread sheeting -- typical
home user stuff. Now if I were a gamer, or if I had to run such specialized
software as Autocad, I'd probably have already upgraded to XP Pro; since
neither of those is the case, I see no reason to upgrade.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com