From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 09:50:00 -0800
You could defiantly network the computers to share your internet
connection. However, if you actually tried to use the connection by more
than one computer at a time, it would be unbelievably slow and depending
on the modem type, processor, etc. of the computer hooked to the
internet, that computer may not be very usable when connected to the
internet and accessed by another computer. Allot also depends on what OS
you are using.

All of that aside, if you just wanted to network two computers together,
you could buy two $10 NICs and a crossover cable. With this setup, you
simply install the NICs and plug them in together.

If you planned on networking more than two, you would use a hub and with
a NIC for each computer. With this setup, each computer would plug into
the hub and it allows each computer to see each of the other computers
once set up.

There are also various wireless systems that use hubs or just see from
computer to computer, without a hub. In addition, there are phone line
and even power line systems that allow you to network your computers
through existing wires through out the house. I use to install allot of
the phone line systems, but now have started recommending the wireless
hub/router systems. If all that you want to do is network for dial up
Internet access and the computers are in different rooms, I would look
for a phone line networking system. Intel use to have a system called
AnyPoint that in the later versions reached 10 Mbps (they also came with
software that basically set the network up for you).