From:
Mary Otten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Otten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:55:31 -0500
Hi folks,
I just found this list, and I've been out of ham radio for 10-11 years, so my knowledge of current rigs is pretty much nil. I still own some ancient uhf and vhf gear, Yaesu handhelds and kenwood mobile rigs for 2 and
220. I'm guessing that the handhelds' batteries are going to turn out to be worthless after all this inactivity. I'm also moving in a few months and have started thinking about getting back into the hobby, at least on 2
meters for the time being. With that in mind, I'm wondering if there is a readily accessible two meter handheld. My old yaesu had the virtue of having frequency input via the keybad on the from of the unit. From the
little bit of looking I did at the HRO website, I have the strong impression that everything these days is quite  small, and rigs are menu driven. this would mean having to memorize a bunch of key sequences. I never
went for that when I was a lot younger than I am now, so the prospect of having to do it now isn't thrilling. Can anybody direct me to 2 meter gear that allowes for direct frequency entry and memory access via the
keypad/and or has voice synthesized frequency read out or otherwise voice access read out to the menus? How about for mobile rigs? Anything good there? Or is it all menu driven with no voice output and no way
to use it unless you memorize and pray?
Mary