From:
Brad Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:19:05 -0800
Hi Frank,
The following is from MSKB article 122926,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q122926
Hope this has a solution for you. I had similar issues when I installed 2K
on my all SCSI machine, but I can't for the life of me remember how I
resolved. I do know that I always choose and use the option to install the
drivers for "additional controllers" while set up is running and then
feeding a CD or floppy as required with the drivers.

Brad Loomis
Morro Bay, CA

Troubleshooting Stop 0x0000007B or "0x4,0,0,0" Error
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.0
Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.0a

SYMPTOMS
When you restart your computer, you may receive one of the following error
messages:

STOP: 0x0000007B Inaccessible Boot Device

Setup has encountered a fatal error that prevents it from continuing.
Contact your software representative for help. The following status codes
will assist them "0x4, 0, 0, 0"
CAUSE
This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions exists:
Your computer is infected with a boot sector virus.
A device driver required by your boot controller is not configured to start
at boot time or is corrupt. If during a WINNT /B installation no mass
storage device was detected.
A resource conflict exists between the boot controller and another
controller in the system or between SCSI devices.
Drive translation is not being performed or was changed.
The boot volume is corrupt and cannot be mounted by Windows NT.
Information in the Windows NT registry about which device drivers load at
start up is corrupt.
If this error occurred during Windows NT Setup while reading Windows NT
Setup floppy disk 2, you may have the Drive Swapping option enabled in your
computer BIOS.
Using winnt /b as the installation method may present a timing issue for the
disk controller. The controller is not given enough time to respond and
identify itself and is therefore detected incorrectly or not at all.
If you run Setup from a bootable SCSI CD-ROM drive, you receive a STOP 7B
error message because Setup does not allow you to add a third-party SCSI
driver when you boot from the SCSI CD-ROM.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use the appropriate method:

Method 1
Check any diskettes for viruses that may have been used in the computer
since the last time you were able to successfully restart Windows NT.

NOTE: You may need to use more than one brand of virus detection software to
detect and remove various viruses.

If a virus has infected the Windows NT computer and a virus detection
program cannot remove the virus and repair the system, you will have to
reinstall Windows NT. For more information on how to protect the boot sector
from viruses in Windows NT, see the following article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: 122221
TITLE : How to Protect Boot Sector from Viruses in Windows NT

Method 2
Windows NT requires a mini-port driver to communicate with the boot
controller. If the device driver is corrupt or incompatible with your
controller, you can replace it by copying a new drive to the
%systemroot%\system32\drivers folder or through the Emergency Repair
process. On computers running on a SCSI controller or ATAPI enabled systems,
SCSIPORT.SYS and DISK.SYS (Windows NT 4.0 only) device drivers are also
required to successfully boot.

If you attempt a "WINNT /B" installation, you may receive a STOP 0x7B before
mass storage detection takes place. To work around this, when the computer
reboots after the initial file copy, press F6 as soon as "Setup is
inspecting your computers hardware configuration" is displayed. This will
allow you to add a mass storage device at the very beginning of text mode
setup.

ARTICLE-ID: 125933
TITLE : STOP 0x0000007B: Inaccessible Boot Device After Removing CD-ROM

ARTICLE-ID: 164471
TITLE : Replacing System Files Using a Modified Emergency Repair Disk

Method 3
If an IRQ or I/O port address conflict exists between your boot controller
and another controller in the system, Windows NT will either hang or stop
with the Stop 0x0000007B error message. If you recently added new hardware,
remove the new hardware or re-configure it so it does not conflict with the
resources of any other installed controllers.

Check the SCSI chain for proper termination. Remove any non-essential SCSI
devices or check to ensure each SCSI ID is unique.

ARTICLE-ID: 102651
TITLE : Required Settings for Adaptec 1510 SCSI Host Adapter

Method 4
The Windows NT Boot partition must exist within the first 1024 cylinders of
the boot device. This is due to restrictions of the INT-13 BIOS call used to
start the operating system. Check your CMOS settings for LBA support on IDE
based systems, or your SCSI controllers BIOS settings for enabling drive
translation for drives greater than 2GB.