BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
The fundamentally unclean listserv <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:03:43 -0500
I agree with Ralph. I personally believe that in most instances the facades
can be repaired without a full strip and I also feel most times this is
cheaper although not always.

I want to expand on one thought that many owners (coops mostly) often feel
that new is necessarily better and I totally disagree - give me an older
building where I know or can rationally assume where the problems are or
will soon develop. Any new construction (new walls included) can be an
entirely hidden bees nest of problems just waiting for the 1-2 year
warrantees to run out. Also, re-facading a building becomes a production job
where "expediencies often control the decision making philosophy".

Weasel indeed - that is the way preservation, restoration and repairs are
done. Seldom are there cut and dry answers.

Sorry Ralph about not being able to respond to "your" glazed brick question
but I have not worked with the make and model you mentioned. Seems that
most/all glazed brick I have used are Hanley Brick now made by Glenn Gery.

Also, as far as the performance of 1950's glazed brick, I have not had many
tested, but have worked on a number of vintage buildings. The reason being
is that there were not telltale indicators of "brick" failure in my
projects, other issues were identified such as you also mentioned,
discontinuous or poorly anchored relieving angles, lack of expansion joints,
initial moisture expansion, poor/lacking flashings, lack of ties, etc.

Thanks,

Eric Hammarberg
still got my same phone number